Recipes

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

And now it's July, we launched and have seen and done a lot

Some crazy robins built a nest in the front in one of the spruce trees.




The eggs hatched and they're all gone now.

We launched the mighty Pinnacle II. The water levels have been going up and up and Tim had to wear boots. It looks as if Tim and Stella are playing in the water, and they are, but this is usually dry land.


On our first trip out we headed east. First night at Croker, then to Louisa, an anchorage we had never been to. We saw this when we left Croker.




Louisa is  very pretty island with a sand beach, and Stella dug her heart out. 



Then off we went to Covered Portage, close to Killarney. We thought we would be the only ones, but 3 other boats were there, rafted together. Went for fish and chips the next day and were shocked about the water levels there. Lots of docks under water. Some docks beaten to pieces by winter storms, and hardly any tourists because of COVID-19. The float plane ramp at the Killarney Lodge is mostly under water, as is the fuel and pump out dock. We had hoped to get a pump out there before heading into Frazer Bay, but it was closed because of the high water levels. All in all depressing.








Good weather though and the water got to a temperature where I can swim. Left after a few days and knew that we were going to need a pump out soon, so headed direction Gore Bay.

Had a beautiful sail up to Little Current. We went too fast and would have to wait 40 minutes for the bridge to open, so we decided to reef the jib.



Stayed overnight at the Benjies. We were the only boat there.


 and saw a beautiful sunset.



Some power boats came in the next day and decided to play techno-rap music very loudly. We decided to haul up the anchor and moved to Croker and were the only boat there. A cold spring is partially to blame for a late start to the season, but COVID-19 plays a really big role here. A lot of people have decided to stay close to their home ports in case a resurgence of the virus will happen and marinas will have to close again. Also 50% of the boating traffic here consists of American boats and  the border with the States is closed. The anchorages will be pretty empty this year. Nice, but also depressing at the same time.

On a dinghy ride we saw this mother bear and her 2 cubs crossing from Eagle Island to Fox Island, a 2 km swim! The poor mother bear is almost sinking under the weight of these 2 cubs.



We had some weather coming in for a week or so, so returned home and cut the grass and did some laundry, and saw some more wild life.


 This little guy walked right over our front lawn and then took the road back to his home somewhere on our field.


Now we're back on the water again and heading into the Benjamin Islands



 After touring the Benjies we decided it was too busy there with 4 sailboats and a tug and anchored at Croker. We were the only boat there. The next day our marina neighbours arrived with grand kids and daughter and husband. Very nice to hear kids on the water. Most of the recreational boaters are pretty old, us included. We had another nice sunset.




The weather is hot, but the water, after all the storms we had, is pretty  cold again, so swimming to cool down is limited (for now). Went for some dinghy rides and had a good time. Did some serious swimming. Water temperatures had gone up again. Planning to take advantage of the East wind tomorrow, June 29 and head over to John Island. At least, that's what we were discussing, but ... my surgeon's office called very unexpectedly and said that my other hip will be replaced on July 8 if I opted for that. The hospital called me the next morning, June 30, to tell me that the pre-op will take place on Friday, July 3rd. We promptly decided that, yes, I should go for my new hip sooner than later because of the pain and undue stress that I put on all other joints. We hauled up our anchor and returned to Gore Bay in a north-east wind. Running all the way, but also discussing the emptying of the boat. We had provisioned for 2 weeks, then return to Gore Bay for a pump out, maybe some milk and fresh vegetables and go out again. Now we won't return for 6 weeks or so, and all perishables have to come off. We will also unplug the freezer and have to take all the content of that home.

Now home and, since it's hot, drinking a Ricard.










No comments:

Post a Comment