Flowers that the kids had delivered to the house. My favourite flowers are in here. Roses, lilies and freesias.
Exactly 7 days ago I was in the recovery room of Health Sciences North, with a new hip, waiting for the spinal block to wear off. Spinal blocks are strange things. I was convinced the my legs were bent at the knees, but once i could sort of glance at them, I noticed that they were straight. Tried wiggling my toes to no avail. The nurse would come by every 1/2 hour to tickle my feet. When some feeling started to come back, I was ready to go to my room, except that the bed in the room assigned to me still had to be cleared. This was at 11 or so. Had to wait till 5:30 before I could be transferred.
Came home on Friday late afternoon and nurse Tim is taking care of me. Cooking, helping me in and out of shower, and helping me with some physio exercises. Moving around with a walker and was ordered to continue to do so until the physiotherapist gives the okay for a cane or crutches. Seeing her in 2 weeks. It's very nice to wake up and not have that disabilitating joint pain. Recovery is 2 steps forward, 1 back. Have a hard time pacing myself. Also have a hard time not to twist my upper body. The not bending over isn't too hard, annoying, but easy to avoid, the twisting however ... All I remember from the operation is the sound of hammering. Happened with quite a vengeance, and the sound as if somebody was hammering a nail in concrete. Guess that's what happened more or less. Tim changed the dressing yesterday. Asked him to take a picture, so I finally got to see my incision and staples. Ugh. Sleeping a lot. Between that and my exercises and watching a stupid series (so I can doze without having the idea that I'm missing out on a lot), I don't seem to do much. Whenever I start to read, I fall asleep.
Looking forward to my first real walk and being declared "recovered". Hopefully the other hip can be dealt with soon thereafter.

Patience my neighbour! You are in a good place.
ReplyDelete