Recipes

Monday, June 9, 2014

engine saga continued

Went up to the marina on Wednesday evening with the new red engine. Started work after I had my coffee, 3 cups or I will not move, and got the engine out the car, (thank you Drew for the chain falls), wheeled her to the boat and put her down gently in the cabin on my lazy chair. Then came the install. According to Tim all went pretty smooth, his words in an email "as I have an expert wife to tie the bowline, run the winches /line/fetch tools!". That would be me I guess. I felt I needed more weight training to build up my muscles as hauling up the engine using the mainsail halyard was taxing!


 




 

Then it was bolt down the engine. Of course some snags. We needed  an exhaust hose adapter and a prop shaft coupling extension, since we ran out of prop shaft length. Also the engine mounts had to be shimmed up by one inch.           




See picture of the shims we used and the vice we had on the boat, given to us by another boater a few years ago (thank you Bob). 
Water, fuel and throttle cables were hooked up, instrument panel installed. Tim was in there folded like a pretzel. I would just hand him the tools.








After that the shift cable, and battery cable, which then led to just moving the battery switch, get rid of old wiring "Now that I am in here", so, from an engine install it went on to rewire the boat. Then the finish: coolant expansion tank, and hot water heater hoses.




By now it's Saturday afternoon 3:30 and the moment of truth. Is everything working? Started like a charm. Finishing touches went well on Sunday, had her running in neutral for 20 minutes. No more rattling stove and padlocks on the cockpit lockers due to vibration, and less noise. Wonderful. On Tuesday the mighty Winsome II will be hauled out for one hour so Tim can change the prop and then take her for a sea trial. If all goes well, we will be anchored somewhere this coming weekend.


















No comments:

Post a Comment