Well, Tim worked hard. He installed the davits, the solar panel, the inverter, charge controller for the solar, new CO2 detector, the table, and all that work and we still have not gone out. Why? Well, our weekdays are wonderful, sunny, warm, nice breeze most of the time. The weekends not so much. Cold and rain. Here some pictures for show and tell, just so you all know we're busy. Hoping to get out this weekend. Saturday looks good, Sunday late morning not so much, but now we are in the "Suck-it-up-buttercup.-The-show-must-go-on" mood. Even Stella is antsy.
Tim here writing.Making a rare appearance on the blog. Usually I leave it all up to Bice to maintain the blog but I thought a "tech" update is long past due.
There are two 260 watt solar panels made by Canadian solar.
I managed to buy them at .57 cents/watt. (slightly used, one year old) The price of solar has really dropped in the last few years due to many mega solar projects here in Ontario and the government green policies spurring green power.
The 520 watt panels (wired in series) feed into a 40 amp MPPT
charge controller which then charges a 420 amp hour AGM battery bank. (6x 70 amp/hr batteries) The manufacturer of the batteries claims that they are good to a 50% DOC (depth of charge) and will continue to provide many charge/discharge cycles. The other big project was the installation of a diesel heater. The heater is made by a Russian company and the quality is really good. (http://www.planarheaters.com)
The heater exhausts to the outside through a special stainless coaxial thru hull outlet. The heater is rated at 3.2 KW but we only need to run it at the 1 kw level. (variable power output) The noise is no louder than a home HVAC system. At low power the heater burns .2 of a liter per hour and draws .85 of an amp per hour. I am very pleased and consider this to be one of the most important upgrades the boat has ever had. (The first mate agrees too!) I also installed a 5000 btu AC system. The unit for now is mounted but not plumbed up yet with the lake water cooling. While I deal with all the mechanical/electrical/electronics/plumbing stuff...Bice was busy cleaning the deck to a stunning level of clean. As in I has to wear my sun glasses because of the glare of the sun! That's all from me for now. I will try to take some pictures of the diesel heater install.






No comments:
Post a Comment